We are seeking a full-time, Master’s level Medical Social Worker to serve hospice patients and families in the South and West areas of Minneapolis (Minnetonka, Edina, Lakeville, Burnsville).
Job duties of this rewarding position include:
- Assessing the psychosocial status of patients and families/caregivers related to the patient’s illness and the environment and communicates findings to the registered nurse and other members of the interdisciplinary group
- Carrying out social evaluations, including family dynamics, caregiver abilities, communication patterns, high risks for suicide, neglect or abuse, and plans interventions based on evaluation findings
- Counseling patients and family/caregivers as needed in relationship to stress and other identified coping difficulties, providing crisis intervention when necessary
- Assessing for any special needs related to the culture of the patient and family
- Maintaining clinical records on all patients referred to social work
- Participating in the development of the individualized plan of care involving the patient and family, and attending regularly scheduled interdisciplinary group meetings
- Assisting physicians and other team members in understanding significant social and emotional factors related to health problems and death/dying issues
- Assisting family and patient in planning for funeral arrangements, financial, legal and healthcare decision responsibilities
Ideal candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Graduate of master’s program in social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- Minimum of one year experience in health care. Hospice experience preferred.
- Understands hospice philosophy and issues of death/dying
- LMSW or LGSW in the state of MN